call us now on:

+44 (0) 1977 605360

Select a Paper Mill

Our portfolio of mills covers many different market areas in graphics, flexible packaging and technical applications.

Select a Product Area

Papico has over 150 individual items available across many product areas; graphics, flexible packing and digital to name just a few.

FSC certified

Copy of B&B buys on-site thermal energy recovery plant to become one of the greenest & most self-sufficient papermills in Europe


Brigl & Bergmeister has strengthened its speciality paper site in Niklasdorf, Austria, by acquiring a thermal energy recovery plant on March 23. The purchase price was not revealed and the deal is subject to approval from the relevant competition authorities.

The thermal energy recovery plant was built on Brigl & Bergmeister's site in 2002 and has supplied the paper mill since 2004. It belonged to the energy and waste management firm Energie- und Abfallverwertungs Gesellschaft (ENAGES), a member of the Energie Steiermark group, and can provide up to 200,000 tonnes/yr of steam and 25 GWh/yr of electricity.

As the only thermal energy recovery plant in Styria, ENAGES will remain a reliable waste disposal partner for companies and local authorities, and continue to make a valuable ecological contribution to the province. For Energie Steiermark, the sale of ENAGES underlines its systematic drive to focus on its core business in the field of energy.

The acquisition of ENAGES by the highest bidder B&B as its main direct energy customer is considered the best option for securing the medium-term future of ENAGES from the regional policy point of view. The supply from ENAGES makes up approximately 40% of B&B's energy needs and together with the other 60% which comes from B&B's own hydroelectric power-plant on the nearby River Mur, this enables B&B to be carbon-neutral in their energy requirements.

"As ENAGES' energy purchaser, it was natural for Brigl & Bergmeister to secure its long-term energy supply by this acquisition," the firm said in a statement. B&B gains the asset of an assured energy supply, and benefits from a sustainable improvement in its environmental performance. The minimal "carbon footprint" compared to the gas turbines normally used will in future become an even more important sales argument for paper.

After the takeover last year by ROXCEL Handelsges.m.b.H. of Papirnica Vevce in Slovenia and Brigl & Bergmeister in Austria, this step means a further strengthening of the B&B location in Niklasdorf with 250 employees. B&B is a global market leader for label paper and paper for flexible packaging, with its factories in Niklasdorf and Vevce in Slovenia producing an aggregate 165,000 tonnes/yr.

previous article next article